Sunday, April 06, 2008

Generation Gap

Why do people in their younger 20s think it's "normal" or "hot" for girls they are dating, or girls in general, to make out with each other? I mean, to each their own, I don't care at all what other people do. But, I just kinda find it odd that their generation just thinks it is "normal". I am not that much older than that generation, and I have never had the desire to just start making out with all my closest friends.

Here is a conversation Kory and I had today when talking about a girl who he is dating making out with one of her friends......

Kory: I don't care if she does that.
Me: Well, I don't care either, but don't you think it's kinda odd?
Kory: Not really.
Me: Why not?
Kory: I don't know.
Me: Ok, analogy here. Would you just start making out with Andrew for fun?
Kory: Hell no.
Me: OK....
Kory: It's not the same thing.
Me: Yes, really, it is.
**Conversation ends because it is obviously not going to result in me understanding anything.

Soooo, I guess it's OK for straight girls to make out, but not straight guys? I am so confused here. If straight guys make out, it appears to be "gross" or "wrong". But, if straight girls make out, it's "normal" or "hot"? What's the difference?

Truly, I don't think it's me that is confused, I think it is their generation.....

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

Because two girls that make out are still straight, but if two guys make out? Well then, they must be gay. And it's most guys fantasy to be with two girls, and since 95% of them never live it, it's enough to see them make out with their friend. Would I think it was hot if I saw the guy I was dating make out with his friend? No. But then again, when you get trashed and are sleeping with random people, well, I guess anything goes.

PS-I love ya but I'm not about to make out with you ;)

Lori Anne Haskell said...

I liked your jab at kory, haha.

And CMON rebecca. I was totally going to suggest us making out next time we were together since it is apparently the thing to do!

Mindy said...

It's a generational difference, for sure. One of about a BILLION that separates Gen X from the Millenials. According to numerous social demographers (my dream job), Gen X is far more conservative, like their Boomer parents, and Gen Y is as liberal as they come.

I could talk about this (and a million other things that have to do with this) all day.

Nancy said...

It's the image the media burns into our brains!! I think it's one of the reasons why so many of us love bad guys and why so many people actually pay for real designer stuff hehe.