Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Nancy's Questions

So, in one of my recent blog entries, Nancy asked me some specific questions, which I wanted to answer. :). Sometimes I forget that many of the people that read this are not family or "real life" friends, so lots of you don't know any of the history of "me".

So, this is for you, Nancy!

Question 1: How did you meet Kurt?. When I was 19, I decided to take a year off from college. I had just finished a year at Ferris State University, and was kinda sick of school. So, I moved in with my Dad in Waterford, MI. I got a job at an upscale restaurant called Mitch's II. Kurt worked there too. He was the only male server there. When I started, I thought he was cute, but also thought he was a "player" because the other waitresses there told me how he dated most of the younger waitresses there, and I would just be another conquest of his. LOL. So, I did not pursue anything at first, but then we started talking a lot during our shifts. One night, I was going out with friends of mine to a local dance club/sports bar, and I invited him out. Which was pretty bold of me, because I am not one to ask a guy out. I did not really look at it as "asking him out" though, because I was just asking him out as a friend to meet my friends, have fun. We went to the bar and had a blast! I ended up kissing him at the bar (too much alcohol) and we all ended up at my apartment, where everyone hung out all night. We were totally inseparable from that point forward. :). When I met Kurt, he was finishing up his Biology degree at Saginaw Valley State University. He wanted to either go to vet school or law school, and pretty much picked law school because he could finish more quickly than vet school. We moved to Lansing in May (I turned 20 that month), and I got a job waitressing. I also started back up at school, and started taking classes for my Accounting degree again.

Question 2: How did you know you wanted to become an attorney? Did Kurt influence your decision? This is kinda continued from above. After about a year of waitressing while Kurt was in law school, I got sick of it. At the same time, I had been typing a lot of Kurt's notes and papers for school, and decided that I really liked law and it was very interesting to me. I started applying for jobs at local law firms for any kind of job. I received an interview at Aquilina Law Firm, PLC, for a legal secretary position. They ended up hiring me! I was so excited. Apparently, they really wanted to "train someone". I learned so much at that job, and, it made me see even moreso that I loved law. A year later, Kurt graduated from law school, and I was about half way done with my Accounting degree. I had decided by this point that law school was where I was heading. We moved to the Detroit area, and I worked at a large law firm in downtown Detroit. This firm taught me what kind of law firm I did NOT want to work for. LOL. A year after that, we opened our own law firm in Taylor, MI. I have been there ever since. I worked there through all of law school, and will continue to do so now that I am done. So, yes, Kurt is pretty much the main reason I ended up at law school. He introduced me to the career, and it is almost like I was meant to do this.

So, a lot of stuff happened in between all of that, but I just wanted to stick to the questions asked.

So, since Nancy has opened this up, if anyone else has questions, ask away, or email me if you would rather not post your question on here.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who is Kory?

Anonymous said...

Wow, Thanks for dedicating a whole post to my questions, I feel kind of special LOL It must be so awesome to own your own business! It's DH and I's dream!

Rebecca said...

I have a question...how did you meet that crazy girl Rebecca? I heard she does bad things....

Lori Anne Haskell said...

Yea, no idea how I met that girl. She is a nutcase.

Rebecca said...

Haha